Subject: scrollbar width reset to default

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:52:09 -0500

Package: Emacs
Version: 24.0.92

I have (scroll-bar-width . 6) in my default-frame-alist, and this
properly sets my scrollbars to be nice and thin.  But every once in
a while, my scrollbars get dynamically resized to the (my thicker)
default.
By that I really mean that the existing scrollbars in my Emacs session
get resized: new frames will get the nice and thin scrollbar I like
again, but old ones now have the thicker scrollbars.

I don't know how to reproduce it, but I suspect that the times when this
occurs are linked to running "aptitude upgrade", so it may have to do
with restarting some system daemon, maybe D-bus or something, which
somehow re-sends the "user global settings" to Emacs which then applies
them to every existing frame, despite default-frame-alist expressing
a preference for some other setting.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.8)
 of 2012-01-17 on pastel
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103901
Configured using:
 `configure
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -DUSE_LISP_UNION_TYPE -DSYNC_INPUT -DENABLE_CHECKING -DXASSERTS -DFONTSET_DEBUG -g -O0'
 '--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: InactiveMinibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
x p _ e q M-/ SPC e 2 SPC e 1 SPC <backspace> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> s SPC C-e <right> <up> 
<left> <right> <up> <left> <right> <up> <left> <right> 
<down> <left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <down> 
<left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <up> <left> <right> 
<up> <left> <right> <up> <left> <right> <up> <left> 
<right> <down> <left> <right> <down> <left> <right> 
<down> <left> <right> <up> <left> <right> <up> <left> 
<right> <up> <left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <down> 
<left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <up> <left> <right> 
<down> <left> <right> <up> <left> C-/ C-/ C-/ C-/ C-/ 
C-/ C-a C-SPC <C-down> C-w <down> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <up> <left> <left> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <left> - > <return> 
M-d C-d C-e <M-backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <right> C-SPC <C-down> C-w <tab> | | SPC 
<tab> <down> <tab> <down> <tab> <down> <tab> <down> 
<tab> C-e <right> C-SPC <C-down> C-w <left> C-x C-s 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> M-x c w a <tab> C-g M-x r e p o - e 
m - b g <tab> <backspace> u <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Mark set [5 times]
Auto-saving...done
Mark set [2 times]
Undo! [6 times]
Mark activated [2 times]
Mark set
Saving file /home/monnier/re/typer/main.ml...
Wrote /home/monnier/re/typer/main.ml
Warning: interactive-p is obsolete!
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(sort mail-extr message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
mailheader emacsbug sh-script conf-mode hideif cpp cmacexp cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs sgml-mode format-spec reftex-vcr reftex-dcr reftex reftex-vars
tex-mode latexenc bbdb-com mailabbrev bbdb timezone whitespace
autorevert doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired cl-specs xscheme trace
testcover scheme unsafep re-builder shadow inf-lisp ielm pp gmm-utils
ert find-func ewoc elp edebug cust-print repeat debug quail rect
multi-isearch dabbrev shell pcomplete vc ediff-merg ediff-diff
ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff
vc-dispatcher executable copyright cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
smerge-mode newcomment diff-mode vc-bzr filecache mule-util caml tuareg
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe skeleton compile comint ring derived
smie caml-help caml-types caml-emacs server noutline outline easy-mmode
flyspell ispell eldoc checkdoc regexp-opt thingatpt help-mode view
prog-mode load-dir electric url-handlers url-parse auth-source warnings
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc gnus-util
password-cache url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr reveal autoinsert uniquify
advice help-fns advice-preload time-date savehist minibuf-eldef
disp-table cl cl-loaddefs all-autoloads company-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads epoch-view-autoloads jgraph-mode-autoloads
js2-mode-autoloads lmc-autoloads load-dir-autoloads markchars-autoloads
minimap-autoloads muse-autoloads info easymenu oauth2-autoloads
quarter-plane-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads register-list-autoloads
sisu-mode-autoloads svg-clock-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads
uni-confusables-autoloads windresize-autoloads package tabulated-list
proof-site proof-autoloads pg-vars bbdb-autoloads agda2 tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)