Subject: bug#10647: Guile 2.0.3: fails make check on s390 in threads.test

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 22:23:21 +0200

Hi!

Noah Lavine <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm not an expert on GC, but I've seen similar issues pop up several
> times. Apparently there is at least one (and I suspect several) Guile
> tests whose outputs are nondeterministic. If so, could we make those
> tests always succeed?

Yes, almost all GC-related tests are non-deterministic.  Some are more
likely to fail on 32-bit arches, too.  I agree this can be confusing.

In the past, some of these tests were changed to throw to 'unresolved
instead of failing.  This addresses the issue by not alerting users for
non-issues.  As a side effect, we basically ignore these tests, which
isn’t good either.

So I’d try to be caution and only move from fail to unresolved those
tests, for which we routinely observe random failures.  On my laptop and
on Hydra, none of these tests fails, neither on x86_64 nor on i686, so
I’d be inclined to let them as is.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.