Subject: bug#10647: Guile 2.0.3: fails make check on s390 in threads.test

From: Noah Lavine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 20:22:46 -0400

Hello,

I'm not an expert on GC, but I've seen similar issues pop up several
times. Apparently there is at least one (and I suspect several) Guile
tests whose outputs are nondeterministic. If so, could we make those
tests always succeed?

I say this because I imagine it is very confusing for users who don't
know what's happening to see a test fail, and still have a working
Guile. It might also confuse smart build systems like Nix that check
for test failures. :-)

I said make it always succeed, rather than remove it, because it is
still important for developers who know what's going on to be able to
run it and get some sort of output. Alternatively, the test could be
to run the same program several times and return true if some high
proportion of the runs succeeded. That would at least cut down on the
number of false negatives.

Noah

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Rob Browning <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>>   FAIL: threads.test: mutex-ownership: mutex with owner not retained (bug #27450)
>
> This one is harmless, and can be ignored.  It’s a consequence of using a
> conservative GC, which is non-deterministic.
>
> So closing this bug (and looking at the others, yes! ;-)).
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
>
>
>