Subject: Re: bug#10633: Please mark invalid "; !important;" in CSS

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 03:00:58 +0100

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 02:54, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>> Thanks, it is a great tip until it is fixed!
>
> Why should this be added to css-mode - do you have some data showing
> that many people writing CSS make the same mistake as you?

I have no idea. A lot of people are writing css files, but only a few
of them probably are using "!important" (since it is a more advanced
concept and needed mostly in special cases).

However there are a lot of things that can go wrong when you work with
things like css. The browser casch was maybe not updated, the css
parser in the browser maybe did not care about the mistake in your css
file - or it did care very much and misinterprets a lot after that.
Trying to get things to work in different browsers is a bit difficult
because of this.

So at least knowning your css file is correct makes it very much easier.

(I have previously tried to explain the difficulties with complities,
but I am not sure anyone cared or understood. That was some years ago,
though.)