Subject: bug#10624: Dired-marking all files in the region

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 07:27:29 -0800

> I noticed one potential problem
> with marking all files in the region in the Dired buffer:
> when the region is active before typing `C-c C-c' in WDired
> it marks renamed files with the same marker, because currently
> WDired uses `dired-add-entry' that calls `dired-mark'.
> 
> This is a rare problem, but I'd like to fix it properly.
> IIUC, the right way to enable functionality only for interactive use
> is to add an `interactive' arg

Just a quick reply - please excuse if my quick reading of this makes my reply
off-the-mark (so to speak).

What if some other function (perhaps a command) that someone has written takes
advantage of the intended active-region behavior (by activating the region, and
then...)?

With your change, IIUC, that code would now need to be changed to add an
additional argument to the call, to fake interactiveness.

I don't see the problem you cite as having to do with interactiveness, but as
having to do with WDired (or perhaps interactiveness when in WDired).  (But
again, I might be misunderstanding.)

If the problem you refer to is really that _in WDired_ the active region should
be handled this way only if interactive, then shouldn't you add an additional
condition that tests for WDired mode?

IOW, why change the behavior for Dired generally (i.e., including outside WDired
mode), for a problem that you found only inside WDired?

Again, excuse me if I've misunderstood the intention, behavior, or patch.  I
looked at your message quickly.  Thx.