Subject: bug#1061: pop-up-frames does not work on a tty

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 10:06:06 -0400

>> The support for frames under ttys is not sufficiently good for that:
>> there are *very* few ways for the user to manage his frames and go
>> from one to another.
> What's wrong with select-frame-by-name?

That and C-x 5 o are the only ways I know.  2 is "very few".

And if you use pop-up-frames, you'll see that select-frame-by-name is
not good enough, because the names are chosen automatically for you and
you get name clashes, etc...

>> I think that under a tty, frames only really make sense when the
>> user sets them up explicitly, not implicitly as part of calls to
>> display-buffer.

> As someone who uses frames a lot on a tty, I agree.  Usually, each
> my frame is set to do some specific set of related activities.  For
> example, I'd typically have a frame for reading mail, another one for
> whatever current programming project I'm busy with, yet another for
> reading Info manuals, etc.  The names of the frames would be set
> accordingly: "Mail", "Prog", "Docs", etc.  select-frame-by-name comes
> very handy to switch between frames with mnemonic frame names.

Exactly: this use was the intended one, and it works well for that case,
but pop-up-frames is a whole other game.

        Stefan