Subject: Re: bug#1061: pop-up-frames does not work on a tty

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:06:51 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:09:17 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked], Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]>
> 
> The support for frames under ttys is not sufficiently good for that:
> there are *very* few ways for the user to manage his frames and go
> from one to another.

What's wrong with select-frame-by-name?

> I think that under a tty, frames only really make sense when the
> user sets them up explicitly, not implicitly as part of calls to
> display-buffer.

As someone who uses frames a lot on a tty, I agree.  Usually, each
my frame is set to do some specific set of related activities.  For
example, I'd typically have a frame for reading mail, another one for
whatever current programming project I'm busy with, yet another for
reading Info manuals, etc.  The names of the frames would be set
accordingly: "Mail", "Prog", "Docs", etc.  select-frame-by-name comes
very handy to switch between frames with mnemonic frame names.