Subject: Re: bug#1061: pop-up-frames does not work on a tty

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:09:17 -0400

>> Yes, the more I think of it, the more I feel like pop-up-frames) should
>> be ignored on ttys (and maybe special-display-buffers as well).

> Why throw out the child with the bathwater?

I love pop-up-frames, but I only set it in X11 sessions.  Now with
multi-tty I often find myself doing M-: (setq pop-up-frames nil) RET
because my tty sessions (within X11 sessions) are simply unbearable.

> We could have `raise-frame' simply select its argument on
> text-only terminals.

Not good enough.  The support for frames under ttys is not sufficiently
good for that: there are *very* few ways for the user to manage his
frames and go from one to another.  Also under ttys, having many
different frames all showing a single buffer in a single window is
pretty dumb: you may as well use a single frame with a single window and
switch buffers in there.  Yet, pop-up-frames tends to put you in
such situations.  I think that under a tty, frames only really make
sense when the user sets them up explicitly, not implicitly as part of
calls to display-buffer.

        Stefan