Subject: bug#1061: pop-up-frames does not work on a tty

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 11:33:27 +0200

>   > > M-x grep
 >   >
 >   > Sorry, I don't understand how this is supposed to work.
 >
 > Show the *grep* buffer?

What I meant is that `grep' uses `compilation-start' which uses
`display-buffer' and I don't understand how this is supposed to show the
buffer on ttys.  Juri Linkov noted

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-11/msg01832.html

but I'm not sure whether the subsequent fix has done any good or harm.

 > I run into these when I was asked to test the --daemon patch with
 > pop-to-frames, I personally don't know much about pop-to-frames.

pop-"up"-frames I presume.

 > I
 > thought these things worked in emacs-22, but that turned out not to be
 > the case.  Maybe nobody cares about this stuff anyway, in which case
 > closing the bug seems appropriate.

`display-buffer' with `pop-up-frames' was and is broken on ttys: Take
`display-warning' or `display-buffer-other-frame'.  `select-frame' based
commands like `info-lookup' are broken on graphical _and_ text-only
terminals.

martin