Subject: bug#10608: local-enable-local-variables

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 18:15:25 +0000

>>>>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

    > Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> local-enable-local-variables - a strange variable. AFAICS (see my
    >> comments in files.el), its only real use is as a minor
    >> convenience feature for visiting RMAIL BABYL files with M-x
    >> find-file. Should it be declared obsolete? Should it affect
    >> directory-local variables (it currently does, I think)?

    > It's also used in arc-mode and tar-mode now, so the usage has
    > increased by an incredible 200%!

    > I have no opinion whether it should be obsoleted, though, but...
    > perhaps not?  Opinions?

What about the fact that 'local-enable-local-variables' does not ignore
any mode setting in a -*- line and is therefore different from
'enable-local-variables'? I would have thought this uniqueness in itself
would ensure that the variable should be kept and not obsoleted.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter