Subject: Re: bug#10595: [PATCH] Conkeror like hints for incremental search

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 22:43:17 -0800

>>>>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Gideon Stupp <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Hitting the character identifier is just a shortcut for pressing C-s
>> multiple times so the search string does not change at all, only the
>> location.

> Oh, I see... Hm... That sounds like some might find it useful, but I don't
> really see myself using something like that. I'd just `C-s' a bit more until
> I was where I wanted to be.

> Anybody else have an opinion on this?

First, C-f is a key I commonly used to exit from i-search, so we cannot rebind
common movement keys like this while in "searching mode".

Also, there are several community packages which do something similar (provide
Konqueror-like navigation for everything from characters to words to search
strings to windows, etc). I don't think we need to extend venerable I-search
into this territory. If I really have that many hits visible on my screen at
once, it often means I should be using a different tool for that job.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2