Subject: 23.0.60; Error When Trying to Access Remote Files

From: Florian Beck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:38:56 +0200

Emacs CVS »just now«

I have problems accessing remote files in the way described in the
info manual. It worked in the past and I can connect via command line
ftp.

The error message is not really helpful, so I have no idea how to
investigate further.

emacs -Q

(setq debug-on-error t)
C-x C-f /ftp:[email-masked]:
[TAB]

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil)
  signal(wrong-type-argument (char-or-string-p nil))
  completion--some(#[(style) "	A@\n\f$" [style completion-styles-alist
string table pred point] 5] (basic partial-completion))
  completion-try-completion("/ftp:[email-masked]:"
read-file-name-internal nil 33)
  completion--do-completion()
  minibuffer-complete()
  call-interactively(minibuffer-complete nil nil)
  completing-read("Find file: " read-file-name-internal nil nil
"~/Material/src/emacs/" file-name-history "~/Material/src/emacs/")
  read-file-name("Find file: " nil "~/Material/src/emacs/" nil)
  find-file-read-args("Find file: " nil)
  byte-code("\"" [find-file-confirm-nonexistent-file
find-file-read-args "Find file: " confirm-only] 3)
  call-interactively(find-file nil nil)

C-x C-f /ftp:[email-masked]:/index.html [an existing file]
[TAB]

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil)
  signal(wrong-type-argument (char-or-string-p nil))
  byte-code("@A\"" [err signal] 3)
  ange-ftp-hook-function(file-directory-p
"/ftp:[email-masked]:/index.html")
  apply(ange-ftp-hook-function file-directory-p
"/ftp:[email-masked]:/index.html")
  tramp-ftp-file-name-handler(file-directory-p
"/ftp:[email-masked]:/index.html")
  apply(tramp-ftp-file-name-handler file-directory-p
"/ftp:[email-masked]:/index.html")
  tramp-file-name-handler(file-directory-p
"/ftp:[email-masked]:/index.html")
  file-directory-p("/ftp:[email-masked]:/index.html")
  find-file-noselect("/ftp:[email-masked]:/index.html" nil
nil t)
  find-file("/ftp:[email-masked]:/index.html" t)
  call-interactively(find-file nil nil)