Subject: Re: bug#10584: auctex in gnu repository broken

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 09:12:37 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I've reverted my changes on the elpa branch so that auctex 11.86 will
>> be the current, most recent version again soon.
>
> Actually, I'm sorry for the mess, and I'm partly to blame for it.
>
> With the change I made to the scripts, you could have simply changed the
> version number back to 11.86, which would have reverted GNU ELPA to the
> 11.86 package while letting you hack on the 11.87 code until it's ready
> without having to revert it.
> But I only realized that you could do this after you had reverted the
> code changes.  IOW too late.

Well, no big deal.

I think, I'll wait for a decision about the auctex to elpa move now.
I'm very much attracted by your idea since I'd really love to be able to
make on-time auctex bugfix releases.  The current release procedure is
hairy, especially for XEmacs and Windows builds.  And the elpa update is
manual and error-prone.  That said, I have no clue about autotools, am
no expert in Makefiles, and all the other stuff that's at least required
for building auctex XEmacs packages.  So while I have a clear
preference, I wouldn't be a great help turning it into reality...

Bye,
Tassilo