Subject: bug#10580: 24.0.92; gdb initialization takes more than one minute at 100% CPU

From: Dov Grobgeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 07:55:29 +0300

Thank you very much for looking into this. For me, this is currently, the
main show stopper for starting to emacs-24.

I have just tested the same scenario with the latest git HEAD version from
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs.git/ :

823d681 Optionally include holidays in cal-html output

and unfortunately the exact same behavior as before still remains.

Please let me know if there are any tests or debug info that I can provide
you with that can help in resolving this issue. I tried debugging it
myself, but I found it to complex since I lack the knowledge of how
sub-processes are handled in emacs.

Regards,
Dov

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dov Grobgeld <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Here is some more clarification. In keyboard.c:command_loop_1() the
> > line i=read_key_sequence() blocks during interactive work until a key
> > is pressed. But when the process is stuck in "gdb" read_key_sequence()
> > does not block but keeps returning. I still have no clue of what goes
> > on though.
>
> Is this still with 24.0.92, or the latest pretest 24.0.96, or the
> emacs-24 branch?  I made some changes to the pty handling a few weeks
> ago (which should be included in 24.0.96), which may impact this issue.
>