Subject: Re: bug#10578: 24.0.92; No png images on OpenSUSE 12.1

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:28:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> 2) If I have both libpng12 and 14 installed, why is Emacs building
>> against 14 and then preferring 12 when running?
>
> Because Emacs on GNU/Linux doesn't use the kind of machinery it does
> on MS-Windows, whereby it will reject 12 if it was compiled against
> 14.  See w32-win.el:dynamic-library-alist, and in particular how it
> consults the variable libpng-version (which is set at compile time).

Right.  From what ldd said, it seemed like it was (dynamically) linked
against both lippng12 and 14, which seems odd to me.  Is that a bug?

Anyway, this is the first time I've seen something like this.  My home
machines usually grow very old and get a lot of different versions of
various libraries over the year, but compilation of stuff usually
doesn't fail just because of that.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome