Subject: bug#1056: Filesets menu location

From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:23:18 -0400

On 30 Sep 2008, at 12:15, Glenn Morris wrote:

>>> From: Dominic Dunlop <[email-masked]>
> [...]
>>> Although the Filesets menu is nice to have (although I found it a
>>> bit of a bear to set up), I find its position between the
>>> application and file menus to be continually jarring. Apple's Human
>>> Interface Design Guidelines...
>
> Heaven forfend we should disagree with such a document...

true :)
but that said, it goes against a rather wide-spread standard... File,  
Edit, and then whatever...

>>> So, may I request that an option is provided to make Filesets a
>>> submenu of the File menu?
>
> In the current CVS trunk, this works for me:
>
> (setq filesets-menu-before "Open File..."
>      filesets-menu-path '("File"))
> (require 'filesets)
> (filesets-init)

I think a good default would be either next to the Buffers menu (to  
the left, probably), because of the semantics, or simply inside the  
File menu (again, semantics).  The latter would be supported by the  
fact that the menu bar tends to get quite crowded especially on  
smallish (15") laptop screens.

- D