Subject: Re: bug#10557: GUILE_LOAD_PATH variable value ignored when setting %load-path.

From: Ian Hulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:24:56 +0000

On 03/02/12 15:32, Andy Wingo wrote:
> Hi Ian,
> 
> I think I agree with ijp's assessment of things.  If you can point to
> something in the manual that is confusing in this regard, please let us
> know.  Thanks!
> 

I think that the docs. really need to make the difference in behaviour
clear between the guile compile --load-path option and setting the
GUILE_LOAD_PATH environment variable.  Maybe have an extended example
showing that you can use multiple occurrences of the option on the
command-line, and that you need to do this if you want to pre-pend a
list of values to the load-path e.g

$ guild compile "fred.scm" --load-path='/path/here' \
  --load-path=/path/here/scm' --output='path/here/compiled/fred.go'

causes fred.scm to be compiled to path/here/compiled/fred.go with a
load-path list of "/path/here path/here/scm user/local/share/site etc.."

Another option would be to give the long option a more appropriate name:
--load-path seems to imply that you're suggesting a one-shot
re-definition of the load-path, whereas you're pre-pending things to the
path and you can do this multiple times.
Maybe use --add-to-load-path to mirror the new function you've just
added to the V2.0.5 base code?

Cheers,

Ian Hulin