Subject: bug#1054: 23.0.60; SSH does not work in MAC OS X

From: Allen Rongone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:40:20 -0400

When I open a shell in emacs and attempt to connect to a remote host  
using ssh I get the following errors:

Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.
[is03:~] arongone% ssh -l arongone hercules
Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/libexec/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/libexec/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/libexec/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
Permission denied (gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard- 
interactive)

This happens on PPC machine running 10.4 and Intel machines running 10.5

Thank for the help,
Allen Rongone

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0, *Step 9.0rc3)
  of 2007-11-25 on applecore.inf.ed.ac.uk
configured using `configure '--with-ns' '--without-x' '--prefix=/ 
Users/adrian/emacs-23.0.0_NS-9.0rc3/nextstep/build/Emacs.app/Contents/ 
Resources' '--exec_prefix=/Users/adrian/emacs-23.0.0_NS-9.0rc3/ 
nextstep/build/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS' '--libexecdir=/Users/adrian/ 
emacs-23.0.0_NS-9.0rc3/nextstep/build/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/ 
libexec' '--with-pop' '--enable-font-backend' '--without-freetype'  
'CFLAGS=-g -O3''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: nil
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: nil
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Mail

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
e l l SPC m o d e SPC a n d SPC I SPC t r y SPC t i
<backspace> o SPC r u n SPC " s s h SPC - l SPC u s
e r n a m e SPC h o s t n a m e " SPC g e t SPC t h
e SPC f o l l o w i n g SPC e r o r s <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> r o r s : <return> <return> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <help-echo>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> s-c
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> s-v <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <return> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <right>
<right> <left> <backspace> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <report-emacs-bug>
S S H SPC d o e s SPC n o t SPC w o r k SPC i n SPC
M a c SPC O S S-SPC X <return> n <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<report-emacs-bug>

Recent messages:
Formatting bug report buffer....
Please enter your report.  Type C-c C-c to send, C-x k to abort.
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Unsent message being composed; erase it? (y or n)
Auto save file for draft message exists; consider M-x mail-recover
sendmail-user-agent-compose: Message aborted
Auto-saving...