Subject: bug#10537: Certain mails don't show up in *Summary*

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:48:59 +0100

Hi,

I see a very strange problem here.  In my INBOX of my mail provider:

(nnimap "[email-masked]"
         (nnimap-address "imap.web.de"))

I have some mails from the GNU bug tracking system, like this one:

  [GNU bug Tracking System] bug#10469: closed (Re: bug#10469: 24.0.92; find-name-dired quotes characters in output)

The problem is that they don't show up in the *Summary* buffer.  I know
that they are on the server, because when using Icedove on the same
account with imap, I see them.  I also see them when using the web
portal of this provider.  I used this account for several years now with
Gnus and never had any problem.

First thought this may be due to my setup.  No, it isn't.  I tried using
emacs -q.  I tried without loading the .newsrc/ .newsrc.eld file.  I
edited the group parameters.  I subscribed to the mail account as a
different user on my OS.  I ensured that it's not the kill file.  They
are not shown.  No chance.  Tried several hours.

So I forwarded one of those mails from outside gnus to another mail
account.  There, in Gnus again, the *Summary* buffer of this account
shows the message.  I forward it again to the other account, with a
different Subject line.  It doesn't appear in *Summary*.  But if I
delete the whole body of the message before forwarding, I'll see it in
the *Summary* of the first account!

So, Gnus obviously hides messages with certain bodies on this account.

To my big surprise, doing nothing different, but using Emacs 23 instead
of 24, everything is normal, the messages are normally shown in
*Summary*.  This fact shows that there is some kind of bug.

I don't know how to debug this.  If you give me some hints where to
start, I'll try to debug this.

Thanks,

Michael.

Gnus v5.13
GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.2.3)
 of 2012-01-11 on zelenka, modified by Debian
200 quimby.gnus.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.2 ready (posting ok)
101 Capability list:
VERSION 2
IMPLEMENTATION INN 2.5.2
AUTHINFO
HDR
LIST ACTIVE ACTIVE.TIMES DISTRIB.PATS HEADERS NEWSGROUPS OVERVIEW.FMT
OVER
POST
READER
STARTTLS
.
580 Error initializing TLS