Subject: bug#10530: 24.0.92; tramp does not connect when username is not specified with plink

From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:10:49 -0700

Hallo Michael,

On 1/17/2012 4:22 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

> It's an eol issue. I have committed a fix to the trunk. Could you,
> please, check?

It now connects. I see the prompt of the remote shell in the debug log, 
but then it asks me again for a password with my username reset to my 
default username and port, i.e. Christoph@localhost.

Snippet from debug log:

18:54:29.900000 tramp-process-actions (6) #
cschol@localhost's password:
Linux debian 3.1.0-1-486 #1 Tue Jan 10 04:55:10 UTC 2012 i686

[snip, some welcome message stuff]

]0;cschol@debian: ~cschol@debian:~$
18:54:29.903000 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Found remote shell 
prompt on `localhost'
18:54:29.903000 tramp-open-shell (5) # Opening remote shell `/bin/sh'...
18:54:29.904000 tramp-send-command (6) # exec env ENV='' 
PROMPT_COMMAND='' PS1=\#\$\  PS2='' PS3='' /bin/sh
18:54:30.031000 tramp-send-command (6) # PS1=\#\$\
18:54:30.085000 tramp-send-command (6) # PS2=''
18:54:30.139000 tramp-send-command (6) # PS3=''
18:54:30.207000 tramp-send-command (6) # PROMPT_COMMAND=''
18:54:30.263000 tramp-open-shell (5) # Opening remote shell `/bin/sh'...done
18:54:30.263000 tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell (5) # 
Setting up remote shell environment
18:54:30.263000 tramp-send-command (6) # stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U' 
erase '^H'
18:54:30.317000 tramp-send-command (6) # echo foo
18:54:30.371000 tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell (5) # 
Setting shell prompt
18:54:30.371000 tramp-send-command (6) # 
PS1=///4fc24703080ea6a218e7e620ade61c8c\#\$
18:54:30.427000 tramp-send-command (6) # PS2=''
18:54:30.482000 tramp-send-command (6) # PS3=''
18:54:30.538000 tramp-send-command (6) # PROMPT_COMMAND=''
18:54:30.593000 tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell (5) # 
Determining coding system
18:54:30.593000 tramp-send-command (6) # echo foo ; echo bar
18:54:30.649000 tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell (5) # 
Setting coding system to `undecided-dos' and `iso-latin-1-unix'
18:54:30.650000 tramp-send-command (6) # set +o vi +o emacs
18:54:30.705000 tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell (5) # 
Checking system information
18:54:30.706000 tramp-send-command (6) # echo \"`uname -sr`\" 
2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $?
18:54:30.774000 tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell (5) # 
Checking remote host type for `send-process-string' bug
18:54:30.775000 tramp-set-remote-path (5) # Setting $PATH environment 
variable
18:54:30.775000 tramp-send-command (6) # echo \"`getconf PATH 
2>/dev/null`\" 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $?

This is where it hangs until C-g.

Again, with C-x-f /cschol@localhost#2222: it works fine.

Thanks for your help.

Christoph