Subject: bug#10519: guile and (mini-)gmp

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 22:45:14 +0100

Andy Wingo <[email-masked]> writes:

>  1. What is the status of mini-gmp?  I understand that you use it in GMP
>     itself, so hopefully mini-gmp is in a good state, upstream.

The version bundled with gmp-5.1.1 is fairly solid. The first release,
with gmp-5.1.0, had some severe bugs. Testsuite has been improved since.

>  2. Has anyone looked at getting mini-gmp into Gnulib?

No idea. But I think configuration should be straight-forward: Either
you use the "real gmp", or you use mini-gmp. And in the latter case, you
know exactly what you have, so there shouldn't be any additional system
dependencies.

I'd expect the difficult issues to be (i) handling of gmp vs mini-gmp in
public headers, API and ABI, and (ii) any features you need which aren't
supported in mini-gmp. I guess you should rarely want the "system guile"
to be linked with mini-gmp, but use mini-gmp only as an option when
guile is bundled with some application.

Regards,
/Niels

-- 
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid C0B98E26.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.