Subject: bug#10506: 24.0.92; Visiting the Guile v2.0.3 tarball shows binary garbage

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:49:03 -0500

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I agree that inhibit-first-line-modes-regexps should apply to all forms
> of file-local variables.  I.e. please rename it to
> inhibit-file-variables-regexps (with a define-obsolete-variable-alias,
> of course).

I believe this is implemented now.

This area seems quite messy. Some more comments:

1) inhibit-local-variables-regexps - should it be explicitly
case-insensitive?

2) local-enable-local-variables - a strange variable. AFAICS (see my
comments in files.el), its only real use is as a minor convenience
feature for visiting RMAIL BABYL files with M-x find-file. Should it be
declared obsolete? Should it affect directory-local variables (it
currently does, I think)?

> There could be exceptions, I guess.  I think the way to reduce such
> redundancy (without removing the possibility to handle things
> differently) is to add indirections: e.g. allow not just regexps but
> also major-mode symbols (so auto-mode-alist maps the file name to
> a major mode and than this mode can be consulted in
> inhibit-file-variables-regexps and auto-coding-alist, and we (w|c)ould
> ideally take major-mode inheritance into account so we could make
> tar-mode and image-mode inherit from a binary-mode parent and only have
> binary-mode listed in those two lists).

Still to be done after 24.1.