Subject: Re: bug#10504: 24.0.90; url-retrieve https://bitbucket.org gives trailing junk

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:09:11 -0600

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:11:34 +0100 Alf Lervåg <[email-masked]> wrote: 

AL> When running the following code I get a trailing line of junk reading
AL> : - Peer has closed the GnuTLS connection

AL> (url-retrieve "https://bitbucket.org" (lambda (status)
AL> (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))))  

AL> In GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.35)
AL> of 2011-09-26 on virtualmac.porkrind.org
AL> Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
AL> configured using `configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin'
AL> --build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
AL> host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''
...
AL> Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 bitbucket.org'...done

Hello,

could you try compiling with the native GnuTLS support, which should fix
this issue?  I'm not sure it's possible to fix this issue otherwise,
because gnutls-cli can print all kinds of trailing junk (log data which
is normally useful, e.g. "*** gnutls_bye() error: A record packet with
illegal version was received.").

Ted