Subject: 24.0.92; Please add optional NAMES arg to `read-char-by-name'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 07:08:46 -0800

The use of `(ucs-names)' is hard-coded in `read-char-by-name'.  Please
add an optional parameter NAMES that defaults to `(ucs-names)' and use
that instead.  That will enable callers to use a different set of
candidates, typically a subset of `(ucs-names)'.
 
`ucs-names' is gigantic and all-emcompassing.  Code that calls
`read-char-by-name' for a particular purpose/context might well deal
with only a subset of that giant set of char names.  The names it deals
with should not be hard-coded but should be decidable programmatically.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2012-01-05 on MARVIN
 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/lib'