Subject: bug#10495: 24.0.92; pp-eval-last-sexp doesn't work on a `symbol' in quotes

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 18:47:07 +0100

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> the command `eval-last-sexp' has a very useful feature: Having point at
> a symbol (or a sexp) that is enclosed in `...'  (think of the manual or
> docstrings), the sorrounded quotes are ignored so that evaluation of it
> works.
>
> OTOH, `pp-eval-last-sexp' doesn't have this feature.  I think it really
> really should, I can't see any disadvantage.

Makes sense to me -- you don't happen to have a patch for this?  :-)

> Besides: IMHO it's a pity that pp.el is not described in any manual (or
> is it? - didn't find something).
>
> At least, the header of pp.el should describe how to use it.  E.g. just
> tell the user to do
>
>      (global-set-key [?\C-x ?\C-e] 'pp-eval-last-sexp)
>      (global-set-key [?\M-:] 'pp-eval-expression)
>
> or something like that.

Are there any cases where using the pp version of eval-last-sexp (etc)
would be awkward?  If not, adding a comment like that (and mentioning
the pp commands in the manual) sounds like a good idea.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no