Subject: 24.0.92; pp-eval-last-sexp doesn't work on a `symbol' in quotes

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:50:38 +0100

Hi,

the command `eval-last-sexp' has a very useful feature: Having point at
a symbol (or a sexp) that is enclosed in `...'  (think of the manual or
docstrings), the sorrounded quotes are ignored so that evaluation of it
works.

OTOH, `pp-eval-last-sexp' doesn't have this feature.  I think it really
really should, I can't see any disadvantage.  As a workaround, the
following works well for me:

  (fset #'pp-last-sexp (symbol-function 'preceding-sexp))

Besides: IMHO it's a pity that pp.el is not described in any manual (or
is it? - didn't find something).

At least, the header of pp.el should describe how to use it.  E.g. just
tell the user to do

     (global-set-key [?\C-x ?\C-e] 'pp-eval-last-sexp)
     (global-set-key [?\M-:] 'pp-eval-expression)

or something like that.

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.2.3)
 of 2012-01-11 on zelenka, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20120111-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11102902
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.92/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.92/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-compress-info' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-imagemagick=yes' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2''