Subject: bug#10489: 24.0.92; dired-do-copy may create infinite directory hierarchy

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:31:03 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Thierry,

>> `files-equal-p' still returns t for two non-existing files. Shall be
>> fixed too.
> Fixed.

Looks good to me. Thanks!

>> Btw, this is the only primitive function which has the prefix "files-",
>> all other start with prefix "file-". Is this necessary?
> I wrote files because comparing two files, but I don't care of this,
> just rename it to file-

Thanks as well. I will change the name in Tramp once you have committed
your patch (or, even better, you do it in tramp.el when committing your
patch).

Still some nit-picking :-)

> -(defun files-equal-p (file1 file2)
> +(defun file-equal-p (file1 file2)
>    "Return non-nil if FILE1 and FILE2 name the same file.
>  Ordinary files are considered to be the same if `file-attributes'
>  returns `equal' values for them."

The file name handler implementation might not use `file-attributes'
(that's why we call the handler). Better, you don't say it such strictly
in the doc-string. Furthermore, I would like to see the phrase
"... existing files ..." somewhere.

Best regards, Michael.