Subject: Re: bug#10489: 24.0.92; dired-do-copy may create infinite directory hierarchy

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:48:30 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Thierry,

> I want to only suppress the use of:
> (copy-directory "/sudo:host:/home/user/Test" "/home/user/Test")

Do you know `tramp-default-proxies-alist'? With that toy, "/sudo:host:"
can be another machine but your local one. You really don't know,
without going into deep Tramp interna.

> (copy-directory "/sudo:host:/home/user/Test" "/sudo:host:/home/user/Test")

That would be reasonable to suppress. But you don't need a special
remote test for this. Just compare the results of `file-truename', as
suggested by Eli. This shall work also for remote files automagically.

If somebody wants to apply

(copy-directory "/ssh:host:/home/user/Test" "/scp:host:/home/user/Test")

you can't suppress. Same for using different hostnames which are aliases
for the same machine, etc pp.

Best regards, Michael.