Subject: bug#10488: closed (Re: bug#10488: guile-config deprecation?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 22:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10488: guile-config deprecation?

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10488: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10488
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10488: guile-config deprecation?
From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:35:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sat 02 Mar 2013 19:42, Andy Wingo <[email-masked]> writes:

> I pushed it to a branch a year ago but it never got review.  Here's the
> patch, rebased and attached.  I'll commit it soon if there are no
> objections.

I have pushed this.  Please test with your applications!

Andy
-- 
http://wingolog.org/

Subject: guile-config deprecation?
From: Mike Gran <[email-masked]>
To: Bug Guile <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:42:14 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi-

There's a bit of confusion on the guile-config deprecation.

NEWS says that guile-config "will be deprecated"

meta/guile-config.in says it "has been deprecated"

meta/guile.m4's GUILE_PROGS rule will error "guile-config required
but not found"

likewise those rules that depend on GUILE_PROGS, such as GUILE_FLAGS
and GUILE_SITE_DIR

In the manual, in the "parallel installations" section, it implies
that GUILE_SITE_DIR is the way to get the sitedir from pkg-config,
but with guile.m4, it is getting that information via guile-config,
which itself gets it from pkg-config.

In the README, it suggests "guile-config" is the way to get the
sitedir for the installation of slib.

The man page for pkg-config describes the PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro,
but doesn't give any indication of how to set up any autoconf
flags beyond _CFLAGS and _LIBS.  So it isn't clear that PKG_CHECK_MODULES
could be used as a replacement for GUILE_SITE_DIR.

It seems to me, that there is some inconsistency here.  I'm worried
that guile-config will just disappear with no equally powerful,
documented replacement in place.

The quickest fix would be to not deprecated it, while
maybe creating and documenting a parallel set of pkg-config based

macros in guile.m4 for extracting things like sitedir.

Thanks,

Mike