Subject: Re: bug#10483: [PATCH] cperl-mode: Avoid endless loop

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 15:28:23 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 13:59:04 +0200
> 
> No, I'm not talking about actually implementing waitpid, but just adding
> some utility functions for handling multi-processing in a bit more
> convenient way.  Starting a process and then waiting until it's done
> isn't an unusual thing to do, so a wait-for-process function would be
> nice (in this instance).

I think at this stage we'd need a more detailed description of the API
you have in mind, to continue this discussion in constructive
directions.  Can you post such an API description?

> In general, it would be nice if Emacs grew a rich feature set for
> synchronisation (thread and process), perhaps based on futures (or
> whatever kids these days are using).

Someone™ should try using the threads for providing such a framework,
it's supposed to be suitable for what you are describing.