Subject: Re: bug#10479: to say about error after running chown command

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:13:43 -0700

tags 10479 + notabug moreinfo
close 10479
thanks

Since this isn't a bug in chown I have closed this bug report.  In the
future if you are simply asking questions please use the
[email-masked] discussion address instead of bug-coreutils since
messages to bug-coreutils create tracking tickets.  Thanks.

[email-masked] wrote:
> hi, i am installing GLPI application on a server. I ran a command
> 'chown -R apache glpi', it gives me an error that 'chown: invalid
> user: `apache'', So can you tell me where the problem is?

That message should be telling you everything you need to know
already.  You do not have an apache user on your system.  That is why
it is telling you that the user is invalid.

What is the output of this command?  I expect it will error saying no
such user.

  id apache

Perhaps the user on your system is "www-data", which is typical?

Bob