Subject: Re: bug#10474: Building guile 2.x under mingw + msys

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 00:37:46 -0500

> From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 22:12:04 +0100
> 
> Thanks for doing all the hard work!

Thanks for developing Guile.

> I’m willing to apply your changes, but could you send them in ‘git
> format-patch’ format, with a log in GNU ChangeLog style, to make it
> easier?

I can certainly add ChangeLog entries, but `git format-patch' would be
harder.  I don't have git installed on my development machine (git is
a bit of PITA on Windows).  What's wrong with "diff -u"?  I can divide
the diffs into separate chunks of related changes, so it will be
easier for you to produce separate commits, if that's what you want
from `git format-patch'.  If there's another reason for your request,
please tell what that is and I will try to make your job easier as
much as I can.  But installing git and cloning the Guile repo just to
submit these changes is something I'd like to avoid if possible.

> In prevision of the of an increased contribution rate ;-), could you
> assign copyright to the FSF?

Will do.

> Strangely enough, the cross-build to MinGW32 at
> <http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/gnu/guile-2-0/> is not showing any of
> these.  Any idea why?  That’s with MinGW 3.18.

I have exactly zero experience with the cross-build MinGW
environment.  My MinGW installation is 3.14, FWIW.

> > is inappropriate when gnulib was used to wrap Windows socket
> > functions.  When gnulib _is_ used, the missing macros are already
> > defined by lib/sys/socket.h.  Therefore, I modified the condition to:
> >
> >      #if HAVE_WINSOCK2_H && !GNULIB_TEST_SOCKET
> >      #include <winsock2.h>
> >      # if HAVE_WS2TCPIP_H
> >      #  include <ws2tcpip.h>
> >      # endif
> >      #else
> >      #include <sys/socket.h>
> >      #include <netdb.h>
> >      #include <netinet/in.h>
> >      #include <arpa/inet.h>
> >      #endif
> >
> > using GNULIB_TEST_SOCKET as evidence that gnulib is being used.  I'm
> > not sure GNULIB_TEST_SOCKET is TRT, but I saw no better candidate.
> > Maybe gnulib should provide us with a better macro.
> 
> This seems to be the right thing, according to gnulib-common.m4:

OK.