Subject: Re: bug#10471: Severe or critical - deletes existing files and leaves nothing. (cp)

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 17:19:58 -0700

forcemerge 10468 10471
thanks

On 01/09/2012 05:11 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Please do not close this bug... EB doesn't know what he is talking
> about -- he didn't read the bug.

I did too read your report, but I stand by my position that upstream cp
is doing the right things for a case-sensitive system, and that the
problems you are encountering is not due to a bug in the algorithm used
in cp, but due to a bug in your system configurations in not enabling
case-sensitivity, so that your system violated the assumptions made by
cp.  I further stand by my position that upstream coreutils should not
have to change anything; and that if changes are needed in cygwin (and
they very well may be needed), that the cygwin list is a more
appropriate place to discuss them, since only cygwin is affected by the
burden of exposing the POSIX notion of a case-sensitive system when
built on top of a case-insensitive setting in windows.

We can reopen things if you can demonstrate the same problem without
cygwin in the mix.  But for now, as long as your recipe for reproducing
the problem involves cygwin, then the cygwin list is the better place to
discuss it.  And no need to create a new bug number - if you will reply
to the existing threads instead of starting a new one, you can add to
the conversation of a closed bug, including adding new evidence on why
the bug might need to be reopened.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org