Subject: bug#10458: 24.0.92; ! in dired on a file starting with a hyphen

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 14:29:06 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was thinking of making it less-DWIMish and leave it in control of
> the user.  IOW, rather than try to magically "do the right thing" for
> files starting with `-`, allow the users to request explicitly absolute
> file names (maybe with a prefix command or something like that) when
> *they* see it's needed.

The prefix is already taken on the `!' command...

> It won't fix the user's mistakes, but it will give a simpler semantics
> on which powerusers can more easily rely.

Using -file-names as they are is a usability problem, and may be a
security problem (the file name may have been created by someone with
the idea in mind that interpreted as a command line switch it'll lead to
nefarious results), so I don't think `!' should go back to the old
behaviour by default.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no