Subject: 24.0.92; Bad cross reference in Info manual

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 22:40:25 -0800

There are a few cross references such as this in the `Info' manual: "see
Overview of Texinfo(texinfo)".  The Texinfo manual is not included with
Emacs.  These links are thus broken.
 
While it is not absolutely necessary that the links actually work, it
would be far better if the manual used only links that work.  In this
case, a different manual could be used - one that is included with
Emacs.
 
I realize that the Info manual is not only for Emacs.  Still, many
readers will read it in Emacs, and this is borne out by some of the
manual text that says things like "If you are reading this in Emacs...".
 
It is likely that at least as many readers of the Info manual will have
the Emacs manual (and perhaps some other manuals that are provided with
Emacs) as will have the Texinfo manual installed.  And most Info users
will never be creating Info files and thus using Texinfo.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2012-01-05 on MARVIN
 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/lib'