Subject: 24.0.92; "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"

From: York Zhao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 15:02:23 -0500

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

I have noticed this problem for awhile that for some of the key bindings "C-h k"
shows "<key binding> is undefined". For example, when I type "C-h k M-q", it
says "M-q is undefined", but I really did bind it to my own function and my
function was working because If I set breakpoint in the function where "M-q" was
being bound to and press "M-q" I was able to get into the function. The key
bindings not being shown by "C-h k" is not limited to "M-q" but a bunch of
others as well. However, there are also a number of other key bindings that can
be reported by "C-h k". I have no idea why this is happening. Can somebody tell
me with this?

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
d:/emacs/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-01-04 on TELCOMP155
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --cflags -Id:/gnuwin32/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: C++/l

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-fill-function: c-do-auto-fill
  gtags-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  yas/minor-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  highlight-symbol-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  anything-dired-mode: Enable anything completion in Dired functions.
Bindings affected are C, R, S, H.
This is deprecated for Emacs24+ users, use `ac-mode' instead.
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-surround-mode: t
  surround-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Recent input:
d SPC b y SPC " C-, C - h SPC k " . <escape> <down>
h h k <return> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
h h . e <return> <escape> <S-right> M-h r e p o r t
<return> C-g <S-left> <up> <down> e i s <backspace>
<backspace> s i c <backspace> n c e SPC i ' m SPC n
o t SPC u s i n g SPC <M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace>
<backspace> SPC h a v e SPC n e w <backspace> v e r
SPC b e n <backspace> e n SPC a b l e SPC t o SPC g
e t SPC e m a i l SPC w o r k SPC i n SPC e m a c s
M-c , SPC i ' m SPC a f r a d <backspace> i d SPC i
' l l SPC n o t SPC b e SPC a b l e SPC t o SPC r e
p o r t SPC b u g s SPC i n s i d e SPC e m a c s SPC
M-c h u s <help-echo> <M-backspace> u s i n <tab> SPC
" M - x SPC r e p <tab> - e <tab> " , SPC i s SPC t
h e r e SPC a n y SPC o t h e r SPC w a y SPC o f SPC
r e p o r <tab> i n g SPC e m a <tab> SPC b u g <return>
? <return> <return> t h a n <tab> <backspace> k <backspace>
<backspace> k s SPC a SPC l o t <return> <backspace>
, <return> <return> y o r k <return> C-x # SPC <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-h <return>

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Quit
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Save file c:/Documents and Settings/yzhao/Local
Settings/Temp/TextEditorAnywhere_14_48_21.txt? (y or n)  y
Saving file c:/Documents and Settings/yzhao/Local
Settings/Temp/TextEditorAnywhere_14_48_21.txt...
Wrote c:/Documents and Settings/yzhao/Local
Settings/Temp/TextEditorAnywhere_14_48_21.txt
Speck-mode turned off

Load-path shadows:
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-xoxo hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-xoxo
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-wl hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-wl
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-w3m hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-w3m
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-vm hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-vm
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-timer hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-timer
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-taskjuggler hides
~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-taskjuggler
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-table hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-table
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-src hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-src
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-special-blocks hides
~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-special-blocks
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-rmail hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-rmail
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-remember hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-remember
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-publish hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-publish
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-protocol hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-plot hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-plot
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-pcomplete hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-pcomplete
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-odt hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-odt
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-mouse hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-mobile hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-mks hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-mks
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-mhe hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-mhe
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-mew hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-mew
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-macs hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-macs
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-mac-message hides
~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-mac-message
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-lparse hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-lparse
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-list hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-list
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-latex hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-latex
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-jsinfo hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-jsinfo
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-irc hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-irc
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-install hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-install
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-inlinetask hides
~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-info hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-info
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-indent hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-indent
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-id hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-id
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-icalendar hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-icalendar
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-html hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-html
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-habit hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-habit
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-gnus hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-freemind hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-freemind
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-footnote hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-feed hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-feed
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-faces hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-faces
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-exp hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-exp
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks hides
~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-exp-blocks
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-eshell hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-eshell
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-entities hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-entities
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-docview hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-docview
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-docbook hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-docbook
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-datetree hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-ctags hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-ctags
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-crypt hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-compat hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-compat
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-colview hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-colview
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-clock hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-clock
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-capture hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-capture
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-bibtex hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-bibtex
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-beamer hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-beamer
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-bbdb hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-bbdb
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-attach hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-attach
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-ascii hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-ascii
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-archive hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-archive
d:/emacs/lisp/org/org-agenda hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-tangle hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-tangle
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-table hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-table
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sqlite hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-sqlite
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sql hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-sql
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-shen hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-shen
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sh hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-sh
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-screen hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-screen
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scheme hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-scheme
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sass hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-sass
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ruby hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-ruby
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ref hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-ref
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-R hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-R
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-python hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-python
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-plantuml hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-picolisp hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-picolisp
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-perl hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-perl
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-org hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-org
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-octave hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-octave
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ocaml hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-ocaml
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-mscgen hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-mscgen
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-maxima hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-matlab hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-matlab
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lob hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-lob
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lisp hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-lisp
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lilypond hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-lilypond
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ledger hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-ledger
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-latex hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-latex
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-keys hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-keys
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-js hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-js
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-java hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-java
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-haskell hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-haskell
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-gnuplot
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-fortran hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-fortran
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-exp hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-exp
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-eval hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-eval
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-ditaa
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-css hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-css
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-comint
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-clojure hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-clojure
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-calc hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-calc
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-C hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-C
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-awk hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk
d:/emacs/lisp/org/ob-asymptote hides ~/lisp/vendor/org-mode/lisp/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug ibuf-ext ibuffer mule-util cal-move
timezone parse-time mail-utils url-cache network-stream starttls url-http tls
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-auth multi-isearch
repeat newcomment debug find-func paredit vc-git autoinsert flyspell ispell
face-remap auto-capitalize org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda
org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org ob-emacs-lisp
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities noutline outline
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs gtags bookmark+ bookmark+-key bookmark+-1
bookmark+-bmu help-mode view bookmark+-lit bookmark+-mac bookmark pp
auto-complete-clang auto-complete-config auto-complete-latex auto-complete popup
yasnippet telecor info-look info cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind
ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff diff-mode easy-mmode
diff-mode- gas-mode eldoc imenu hideshow+ hideshow highlight-parentheses
edit-server full-ack highlight-symbol hi-lock replace+ diction speck
browse-kill-ring+ browse-kill-ring outlookedit hl-line anything-complete
anything-show-completion anything-obsolete anything-config browse-url warnings
rx anything-match-plugin xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap grep compile tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp
assoc gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache shell pcomplete comint
format-spec tramp-loaddefs dired-x dired-aux ffap thingatpt anything ob-latex ob
org-macs ob-eval org-install evil-numbers ace-jump-mode surround
anchored-transpose second-sel evil evil-ergo-dvorak-maps evil-integration
goto-chg evil-commands evil-types evil-digraphs evil-search evil-ex evil-macros
evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common rect evil-vars ring recentf
tree-widget wid-edit easymenu undo-tree misc windmove edmacro kmacro smex cl
server dired-sort-map dired regexp-opt misc-utils saveplace midnight uniquify
advice help-fns advice-preload paren savehist ido delsel cus-start cus-load
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table
ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)