Subject: bug#10428: closed (Re: bug#10428: 24.0.92; Please remove unnecessary alias `which-func-mode`)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 23:47:03 +0000

Your bug report

#10428: 24.0.92; Please remove unnecessary alias `which-func-mode`

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10428: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10428
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10428: 24.0.92; Please remove unnecessary alias `which-func-mode`
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 00:42:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Why was this alias defined?  Is there a good reason for it?  This is a
> bad precedent to set.  Unless there is a _particular_ reason to do this
> for this command (and not for umpteen other Emacs commands), please
> remove this seemingly gratuitous alias.

2001-06-26  Richard M. Stallman  <[email-masked]>

        * which-func.el (which-func-maxout): Increase default to 500000.
        (which-function-mode): This is now the "real" name of the function.
        (which-func-mode): Now an alias.
        (which-func-mode-global): Name deleted.

So the function was called which-func-mode, then renamed to
which-function-mode, and the old name kept for compatibility.

It took me all of a grep in lisp\ChangeLog* to find it ;-)

    Juanma

Subject: 24.0.92; Please remove unnecessary alias `which-func-mode`
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 14:50:01 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Why was this alias defined?  Is there a good reason for it?  This is a
bad precedent to set.  Unless there is a _particular_ reason to do this
for this command (and not for umpteen other Emacs commands), please
remove this seemingly gratuitous alias.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-12-06 on MARVIN
 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib'