Subject: Re: bug#10428: 24.0.92; Please remove unnecessary alias `which-func-mode`

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 02:03:31 +0100

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 00:59, Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I thought the point was to not break existing _code_.

That's an interactive command. How it is used in lisp code is somewhat
less relevant.

> Making people
> change what they physically type isn't only acceptable, but desired:
> this way, we raise awareness of the new name.

Sometimes two names are just alternatives. And which-func-mode is shorter.

> I thought so. Maybe we should have commandp return nil for obsolete
> symbols.

I think you're thinking of `command-and-not-obsolete-p'... Which is to
say, I don't think changing the semantics of commandp is a good idea.

> make-obsolete already sets the byte-obsolete-info symbol
> property, which we could inspect easily enough.

And which is already done by the code that needs the info, like
`describe-function-1', `semantic-emacs-lisp-obsoleted-doc' and
`mh-make-local-hook'.

    Juanma