Subject: bug#10428: 24.0.92; Please remove unnecessary alias `which-func-mode`

From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:59:24 -0800

On 1/3/2012 3:53 PM, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 00:48, Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> It's still annoying to have which-func-mode show up as an interactive
>> command.
> 
> Not to the people used to the old name... That's the whole point of
> having an obsolete alias, instead of just renaming the function.

I thought the point was to not break existing _code_. Making people
change what they physically type isn't only acceptable, but desired:
this way, we raise awareness of the new name.

>> Is it somehow possible to define an alias to a command that is
>> not itself a command?
> 
> Not currently. The interactivity does not depend of the name. It's a
> property of the function itself.

I thought so. Maybe we should have commandp return nil for obsolete
symbols. (which-func-mode isn't currently marked obsolete, but it can be
easily enough.) make-obsolete already sets the byte-obsolete-info symbol
property, which we could inspect easily enough.