Subject: 24.0.92; #'test-completion is inconsistent with symbol hash keys in COLLECTION

From: Aidan Kehoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 14:16:06 +0000

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

Hello there,

Recipe to trigger the problem:

 (try-completion "del-alist" #s(hash-table size 145 test equal rehash-size 1.5 rehash-threshold 0.8 data (del-alist hello "delay-mode-hooks" everyone "delete" everyone)))
 => t ;; as expected and documented

 (all-completions "del-alist" #s(hash-table size 145 test equal rehash-size 1.5 rehash-threshold 0.8 data (del-alist hello "delay-mode-hooks" everyone "delete" everyone)))
 => ("del-alist") ;; as expected and documented

 (test-completion "del-alist" #s(hash-table size 145 test equal rehash-size 1.5 rehash-threshold 0.8 data (del-alist hello "delay-mode-hooks" everyone "delete" everyone)))
 =>
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp del-alist)
  test-completion("del-alist" #s(hash-table size 145 test equal rehash-size 1.5 rehash-threshold 0.8 data (del-alist hello "delay-mode-hooks" everyone "delete" everyone ...)))

This is unexpected, inconsistent, and not documented; it should return t, as
it does if the hash table key is a string.

Happy New Year,

Aidan

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Sources/emacs/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i386-apple-darwin10.8.0, GTK+ Version 2.22.1)
 of 2011-12-30 on bonbon
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10402000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
emacsbug time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
‘Iodine deficiency was endemic in parts of the UK until, through what has been
described as “an unplanned and accidental public health triumph”, iodine was
added to cattle feed to improve milk production in the 1930s.’
(EN Pearce, Lancet, June 2011)