Subject: bug#1041: closed (Re: bug#1041: 23.0.60; Custom variable not turned on after autoload)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 00:25:02 +0000

Your bug report

#1041: 23.0.60; Custom variable not turned on after autoload

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
1041: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1041
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#1041: 23.0.60; Custom variable not turned on after autoload
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 20:24:00 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Closed due to lack of response.

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>  Also, please provide a test case (ideally even outside of nxhtml)
> that shows the problem you're describing.

>From [email-masked] Sat Sep 27 18:30:26 2008
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 03:30:16 +0200
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.0.60; Custom variable not turned on after autoload

I just changed som (require ...) to autoloads and noticed that some
things stopped working. It looks like custom variables are not turned on
correctly after autoload. The loading is done after
custom-set-variables. Here is how I handle one such case now:

;;;###autoload
(define-globalized-minor-mode nxhtml-global-minor-mode
  nxhtml-minor-mode
  nxhtml-maybe-turn-on-minor-mode
  :require 'nxhtml-menu
  :group 'nxhtml)
(custom-reevaluate-setting 'nxhtml-global-minor-mode)
(when nxhtml-global-minor-mode (nxhtml-global-minor-mode 1))

I am not sure about the details and I do not have time to look into it
right now, but it looks like the saved values are not used after the
autoload. This is what I use `custom-reevaluate-setting' above for.

The line below is for a problem when loading the library with a minor
mode after custom-set-variables have been called. I have reported this
problem long ago and have a patch for it. (I am not sure if this bug is
still there since I distribute most of my libraries with something like
the last line above. I get no bug reports about it.)

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-09-27 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'