Subject: bug#1041: 23.0.60; Custom variable not turned on after autoload

From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 03:30:16 +0200

I just changed som (require ...) to autoloads and noticed that some
things stopped working. It looks like custom variables are not turned on
correctly after autoload. The loading is done after
custom-set-variables. Here is how I handle one such case now:

;;;###autoload
(define-globalized-minor-mode nxhtml-global-minor-mode
  nxhtml-minor-mode
  nxhtml-maybe-turn-on-minor-mode
  :require 'nxhtml-menu
  :group 'nxhtml)
(custom-reevaluate-setting 'nxhtml-global-minor-mode)
(when nxhtml-global-minor-mode (nxhtml-global-minor-mode 1))

I am not sure about the details and I do not have time to look into it
right now, but it looks like the saved values are not used after the
autoload. This is what I use `custom-reevaluate-setting' above for.

The line below is for a problem when loading the library with a minor
mode after custom-set-variables have been called. I have reported this
problem long ago and have a patch for it. (I am not sure if this bug is
still there since I distribute most of my libraries with something like
the last line above. I get no bug reports about it.)

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-09-27 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'