Subject: Re: bug#10409: Minibuffer sized according to default face, not minibuffer face

From: Jeremy Thurgood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:15:41 +0200

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:19, David Reitter <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> can you please try this out with the latest nightly build (Emacs 24), available from http://aquamacs.org/nightlies.shtml

I see the same on the latest nightly, both with and without customizations:

In GNU Emacs 24.0.90.3 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
 of 2011-12-30 on braeburn.aquamacs.org - Aquamacs Distribution 3.xdev
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--without-x' 'CFLAGS=-arch
i386 -g -O0 ' 'LDFLAGS=-arch i386 -g -O0 ''

> and update this bug with the version number (and ideally everything from Help->Diagnosis->Report Bug).

Whoops, I knew I was forgetting something. Here are the relevant extracts:

In GNU Emacs 23.3.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
 of 2011-10-25 on braeburn.aquamacs.org - Aquamacs Distribution 2.4
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--without-x' 'CC=gcc'
'CFLAGS=-O0 -g -arch i386' 'LDFLAGS=-O0 -g -arch i386''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug autorevert flymake flymake-cursor
twisted-dev python-21 python lilypond-mode compile comint run-tests
ansi-color git-emacs ido git-emacs-autoloads git-global-keys time-stamp
vc-git vc vc-dispatcher ediff psvn derived edmacro kmacro log-edit ring
pcvs-util add-log diff-mode pp elp ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util dired uniquify erlang-start
zoom-replacement load-emacs-plugins aquamacs-mode-defaults auctex-config
server preview-latex tex-site auto-loads aquamacs-aux savehist mouse-sel
one-buffer-one-frame smart-frame-positioning drews_init
color-theme-autoloads saveplace visual-line aquamacs-bug
aquamacs-autoface-mode aquamacs-editing sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums qp mm-util mail-prsvr recentf tree-widget cus-edit osxkeys
emulate-mac-keyboard-mode frame-cmds strings misc-fns thingatpt+
thingatpt frame-fns avoid aquamacs-mac-fontsets fit-frame
aquamacs-frame-setup aquamacs-tabbar tabbar-window cl cl-19 cus-start
cus-load tabbar easy-mmode warnings load-emacs-pre-plugins
aquamacs-site-start cocoa-compatibility matlab-load smart-dnd filladapt
aquamacs-redo check-for-updates aquamacs-menu osx_defaults
aquamacs-tool-bar aquamacs mac-extra-functions aquamacs-tools
aquamacs-macros parse-time timezone time-date paren delsel pc-select
cua-base wid-edit regexp-opt advice advice-preload byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile debug help-fns help-mode view image-file disp-table tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)

> Please use Help->Diagnosis->Start without customizations.

I have done so. I see the same behaviour.

Thanks,
--J

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Jeremy Thurgood <[email-masked]>
>> Subject: [Aquamacs-bugs] Minibuffer sized according to default face, not minibuffer face
>> Date: December 29, 2011 9:52:52 AM GMT+01:00
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Reply-To: Bug reports for Aquamacs Emacs <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Good day,
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's just non-obvious behaviour,
>>
>> The height of the minibuffer (in pixels) is set in increments of the
>> line height for the default face. If the echo area face (the one from
>> which all minibuffer faces inherit) is slightly taller than the
>> default face, this means that the minibuffer is one line high when
>> empty and two lines high if there's anything in it. As a consequence,
>> the minibuffer is constantly resizing, which is visually jarring. In
>> my case, I set my default face to a font that is a little shorter then
>> Lucida Grande (the default font for the echo area face) and ran into
>> this behaviour. It can be replicated merely by setting the echo area
>> face's height to a large scale -- 1.5 will do.
>>
>> As a workaround, the height of the minibuffer face can be adjusted to
>> a scale less than 1.0 to make the line height fit. Alternatively, the
>> font can be changed to one that fits better. In my case, I just
>> removed the override and allowed it to inherit the font from my
>> default face. It looks a bit uglier, but it lets me avoid tinkering
>> with the height whenever I change the default font.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --J
>
>
>