Subject: bug#10408: 24.0.92; gnus sluggish with large mailbox at the end

From: Ivan Kanis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:19:46 +0100

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

Sorry no -Q recipe. Open a large mailbox with gnus. Mine is 4500
messages. Gnus is sluggish at the _end_ of the buffer only. The top
works fine.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/home/ubuntu/emacs-bzr/share/emacs/24.0.92/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.39 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.0)
 of 2011-12-30 on tao
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10900000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/home/ubuntu/emacs-bzr' 'CFLAGS=-g''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tracking-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-scrolltobottom-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<insert> M-i t C-n C-n C-n C-n M-j a <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<up> C-x C-f <backspace> . z s h r <return> y <prior> 
C-x v = C-o C-x v v u n s e t SPC t o <backspace> w 
o SPC v a r i a b l e SPC t h a t SPC b r o k e SPC 
s b c l SPC i n s t a l l C-c C-c M-1 <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<up> <up> <down> d i n <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
b i n d k e y SPC - r SPC ' % <backspace> ^ b ' <return> 
b i n d k e y SPC - r SPC C-b ' \ e b ' <return> C-x 
C-s <insert> <insert> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> C-SPC C-e M-w 
<insert> C-x v v C-y C-/ C-y C-p C-a C-k C-k <backspace> 
C-c C-c M-i t M-j a M-1 C-v <home> M-i n L <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <return> <down> <down> <down> 
<end> <end> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <home> 
<down> <down> <down> <end> <up> M-x l i n u <tab> <tab> 
<return> M-x C-g q q M-x b u g - r e p <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> r e p o <tab> r t - e m <tab> - <backspace> 
b <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
No more unseen articles
No more unread articles
Mark set [4 times]
Linum mode enabled
Quit [2 times]
Saving /home/ubuntu/dyn/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/ubuntu/dyn/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/ubuntu/dyn/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/ubuntu/dyn/.newsrc.eld...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/misc/time hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/time
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/misc/whitespace hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/whitespace
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-awk hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-beamer hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-beamer
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-mouse hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-sh hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-sh
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-mscgen hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-latex hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-latex
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-info hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-info
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-special-blocks hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-special-blocks
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-publish hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-publish
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-bibtex hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-sqlite hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-comint hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-agenda hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-sass hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-faces hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-mhe hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-ledger hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-latex hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-plot hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-tangle hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-docbook hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-docbook
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-calc hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-C hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-attach hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-compat hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-habit hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-html hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-html
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-jsinfo hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-feed hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-emacs-lisp hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-lilypond hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-pcomplete hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-w3m hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-timer hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-list hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-list
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-gnus hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-ctags hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-lisp hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-scheme hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-org hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-R hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-ruby hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-mobile hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-install hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-install
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-protocol hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-matlab hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-xoxo hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-mew hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-mew
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-plantuml hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-sql hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-footnote hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-datetree hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-exp hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-python hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-ocaml hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-vm hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-vm
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-icalendar hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-ditaa hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-entities hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-docview hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-inlinetask hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-crypt hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-clock hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-dot hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-macs hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-eval hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-octave hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-gnuplot hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-clojure hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-js hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-lob hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-java hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-bbdb hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-table hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-table
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-irc hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-src hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-src
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-rmail hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-table hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-maxima hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-mks hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-mks
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-taskjuggler hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-taskjuggler
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-exp hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-exp
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-id hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-id
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-asymptote hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-mac-message hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-haskell hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-ascii hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-ascii
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-colview hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-freemind hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-freemind
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-remember hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-remember
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-css hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-indent hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-exp-blocks hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-ref hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-wl hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-wl
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-screen hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-capture hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-perl hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/org-archive hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/org/ob-keys hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/misc/erc-goodies hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/erc/erc-goodies
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/emms/tq hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/misc/appt hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/calendar/appt
/home/ubuntu/.emacs.d/misc/sym-comp hides /ext4/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/obsolete/sym-comp

Features:
(shadow emacsbug linum skeleton sh-script executable org-archive
log-edit pcvs-util add-log diff-mode vc ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind
ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff vc-dispatcher debug
info icomplete shell grep compile vc-bzr viper viper-ex viper-macs
viper-mous viper-cmd viper-keym viper-util viper-init epa-file epa epg
gnus-draft lookup-entry lookup-content lookup-vse ndkks ndeb ndeb-binary
lookup lookup-types lookup-utils lookup-vars evi evi-mule swbuff
bbdb-message sendmail hashcash cookie1 gnus-fun smiley ansi-color
gnus-cite multi-isearch w3m-bookmark w3m-tabmenu w3m-session mule-util
sort w3m-form w3m-symbol w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired-x dired
w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc
w3m-util mail-extr gnus-bcklg qp gnus-async gnus-dup gnus-ml disp-table
gnus-topic pop3 nndraft nnmh nnml nnfolder parse-time bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua
netrc gnutls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
mml-smime smime dig mailcap nnir gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils ido uniquify japan-util kkc ja-dic-utl quail
help-mode view paren eldoc init appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso
vc-git autoinsert org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks
org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda org
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
garak notify dbus-util dbus tree-widget lui tracking incomplete
network-stream auth-source eieio assoc gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache starttls tls erc-ring erc-netsplit erc-pcomplete
pcomplete comint erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-join erc-track
erc-match erc-spelling flyspell ispell erc-goodies erc erc-backend
erc-compat format-spec thingatpt pp server xcscope ivan-w3m ivan-term
ivan-slime ivan-re-builder ivan-org ivan-newsticker newst-backend xml
derived ivan-muse ivan-message ivan-japanese ivan-gnus ivan-french
easy-mmode ivan-english ivan-emms ivan-elim elim browse-url cl
ivan-comint bs ivan-bbdb bbdb-com mailabbrev bbdb timezone
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup tex-site ring caps-mode
ivan-common-code marker-visit saveplace time fuzzy byte-opt warnings
advice help-fns advice-preload bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp
regexp-opt rx cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit ivan-var
ivan-keymap edmacro kmacro ivan-fun find-func ivan-face ivan-load
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)