Subject: Re: bug#10389: 24.0.92; Emacs window needs resizing after Mac OS X monitor change

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 15:06:46 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:29:47 +0100, Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> said:

> Hello.  28 dec 2011 kl. 07:01 skrev Donald Tillman:

>> Hi,
>> 
>> On Mac OS X, 10.6.8; I'm using a 15 inch MacBook Pro and a Cinema
>> Display monitor.  I've got the Emacs window some reasonable size
>> for the monitor.  Then, when I remove the monitor, so there's only
>> the MacBook screen, the Emacs window is stuck sized too large, with
>> parts of the window off screen.  If the upper left green button and
>> the lower right diagonal corner are off screen, I can't resize the
>> window.  And if the top of the window is off screen I can't move
>> the window.
>> 
>> There's an easy enough workaround, fanblade-N to create a new
>> window, but I didn't know that the first time this happened.

> This happens also on any X port of Emacs, switching resolution does
> not make Emacs adjust its frames.  In some cases the window manager
> might adjust Emacs size, but Emacs itself does nothing.  Don't know
> what happens on w32.  AFAIK, it has been like this forever.

> Do we want a change in Emacs here?

The Mac port (*) is supposed to do some adjustment like other Cocoa
applications, so at least the upper left buttons become visible.
Frame size adjustment on resolution change is also done for the case
of fullscreen, which can be turned on/off by Shift + Pinch-open/close
on a trackpad.  The OP might possibly want to try that port to see if
he likes this behavior of size adjustment.

(*): http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-11/msg00473.html

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]