Subject: RE: bug#10387: CODE wishlist: search-prop.el

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 08:51:26 -0800 (PST)

> > M-x global-set-key C-~ forward-char
> 
> That binds C-^ in -nw.  C-~ isn't a character.
> (characterp ?\C-~) => nil

What's your point?

The claim (from Juri) was that `C-M-~' "cannot be typed on tty".

But it can be typed.  And it can be bound to a command.
And typing it invokes the command.  And Emacs recognizes it
as a binding of that command.  And Emacs does not recognize,
just because of that binding, that `C-M-^ is bound to that
command (or is bound at all).

What does this behavior, and the usefulness of this binding,
have to do with the fact that `C-~' or `C-M-~' is not a character?
Or with the fact that `C-^' is a character and `C-~' is not?

In `emacs -Q -nw', `C-down' is bound to `forward-paragraph'.
Yet (characterp [(control down)]) is nil.  So what?  Did those
who defined that default binding for Emacs out of the box make
a mistake?  Was that a no-no?