Subject: bug#10381: 24.0.92; delete-other-windows-vertically depends on the window split order

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:34:43 +0100

> Because in this case delete-other-windows-vertically deletes windows
 > horizontally.

Really?

 > I would have understood if the function did _nothing_, but deleting
 > windows horizontally is clearly wrong.

If you want the function to do nothing in that case, you would have to
tell it do nothing.  `window-combined-p' can help here.

 >>   Delete the windows in the same column with WINDOW, but not WINDOW itself.
 >>
 >> That sentence is vague but doesn't contradict what the function does.
 >
 > this makes for a very unintuitive notion of a column.

You probably should use the term "edge" instead of "column".  Then you
would see that the function indeed deletes every window whose
corresponding edge has the same coordinate value as that of WINDOW.

 >>  Then you will probably
 >> understand that the behavior you apparently strive for cannot be
 >> obtained when the first split of a frame's root window creates windows
 >> one above the other.
 >
 > this is very unfortunate.

... but deeply rooted in the way Emacs splits windows ever since.

martin