Subject: Re: Emacs+Ansi-Term Display Glitches

From: "Vladimir Murzin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 02:51:51 +0000

Hi!

Have you tried disabling composite manager?

I met similar problem several months ago. Turning of composite feature of Metacity solved this problem for me.
Best wishes, Vladimir Murzin

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Ferrari <[email-masked]>
Sender: help-gnu-emacs-bounces+murzin.v=[email-masked]: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:30:48 
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Emacs+Ansi-Term Display Glitches

Hi,

I'm experiencing some display glitches when using ansi-term to access a
shell under the X11 version of emacs. There seem to be two separate
glitches, and they're a little hard to describe so I've included a link
to a video of the problem.

FIRST GLITCH

When I reach a full screen of text under ansi-term (i.e. once I've typed
in a few commands and the history of these commands fills the screen, so
that the input line is now at the bottom of the screen), the whole
screen seems to either flash or jump every time I type a new character.

SECOND GLITCH

After I've either filled the screen using my own commands, or after I've
used a programme such as top or mutt which takes over the whole screen,
then the two lines at the top of the screen seem to persist. Running the
"clear" command does not clear them, but they are cleared if I run the
"reset" command.

You can see a download a video (7.6MB) of these glitches from:
http://cloud.geoffreyferrari.com/apps/files_sharing/get.php?token=db8e2a6726e03d1816548e17447a1df626215ac4

Both of these problems occur on both the latest 64-bit versions of ubuntu and
debian wheezy. With the terminal version of emacs I get the second
problem (lines being left at the top of the screen) but not the first
(no display jumpiness).

My version of emacs as reported in Ubuntu 11.10 is

"GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.5)
 of 2011-08-14 on allspice, modified by Debian"

I wonder if there's anything I can do to remove these annoying glitches,
of whether they are a bug that should be reported.

Geoff