Subject: bug#1037: 23.0.60; problem with file name completion in mini-buffer

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 23:27:24 +0200

Hello!

When I want to load from the *scratch* buffer the file "Kanäle" I  
type: C-x C-f K a n <TAB> and I see that file name completion simply  
works.

When I have chosen "Send Bug Report..." from the Help menu and try to  
load the same file with the same procedure from the *Bug Help*  
buffer, or when starting the action from initial *Messages* buffer,  
in echo-area the string

	Loading .../emacs/lisp/international/uni-combining.el (source)...done

appears and stays there, until I do something, change to another  
buffer, or such. Then in mini-buffer the prompt

	Find file: ~/Kanäle

becomes visible, awaiting confirmation. The same happens when I split  
the initial window into two windows and load *Messages* into one of  
the windows. Then, when loading the "Kanäle" file as described from  
the scratch buffer, again the message in the echo-area appears and no  
prompt to confirm loading of ~/Kanäle appears. In the *Messages*  
buffer of the initial case (my first sentence) no loading of ELisp  
files is reported.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, GTK+ Version  
2.12.11)
  of 2008-09-26 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/ 
Emacs/caml:/Library/Application Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site- 
lisp/elib' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/qt4-x11/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
system-openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/ 
usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'  
'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -bind_at_load -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 - 
mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register- 
move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps - 
fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp' 'LDFLAGS=- 
bind_at_load -dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   view-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f K a n <tab> C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report> M i s t <return> <kp-enter>
C-x C-f K a n <tab> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x k <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x k <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
Loading time...done
Loading paren...done
Quit
Loading .../emacs/lisp/international/uni-category.el (source)...done
Loading .../emacs/lisp/international/uni-combining.el (source)...done
Entering debugger...

--
Greetings

   Pete       (:
         _    / __    -    -
       _/ \__/_/        -     -
      (´`)      (´`)   -    -
       `´        `´