Subject: Re: 23.0.60; problem with file name completion in mini-buffer

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:27:42 +0200

Am 30.09.2008 um 00:44 schrieb Chong Yidong:

>> When I want to load from the *scratch* buffer the file "Kanäle" I
>> type: C-x C-f K a n <TAB> and I see that file name completion simply
>> works.
>>
>> When I have chosen "Send Bug Report..." from the Help menu and try to
>> load the same file with the same procedure from the *Bug Help*
>> buffer, or when starting the action from initial *Messages* buffer,
>> in echo-area the string
>>
>> 	Loading .../emacs/lisp/international/uni-combining.el
>> 	(source)...done
>>
>> appears and stays there, until I do something, change to another
>> buffer, or such.
>
> I can't reproduce this.  Does anyone else see it happen?

I can also reproduce this with a version from almost three weeks ago  
(but not in 23.0.50 or 22.3 which do not try to combine a and ¨ to  
ä). And it also "works" when I load the Kanäle file from the *Buffer  
List* buffer. So it seems that when I open the Kanäle file from every  
buffer that is not the *scratch* buffer the same effect happens. Here  
is a screen-shot that shows that after the given beginning of the  
file's name has been completed this completed file name "~/Kanäle"  
does not reapper in mini-buffer as prompt to allow me to type RETURN.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.